Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kid's weight and our behaviors

by Jessica Watters

Here is another article on why we should keep our children at a healthy weight click here to read article.

Instead of just "tweeting" this article I wanted to say a few words on this.  Childhood obesity is a real threat to the future of our children. It can lead to children with adult problems, like high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, joint problems and self esteem issues.  And as the article above mentions, even something like OTC medicine can not work properly in a child who is overweight.

All of this is can be reversed if we just make sure that we feed our children healthy foods, get plenty of exercise and good sleep.  As parents, its our responsibility to set a good example for our kids.  How can we expect our children to eat healthy, exercise and sleep well when we're not doing it ourselves?

It's scary to think that we could be doing the most damage to our own kids, but unfortunately its true.  And it doesn't just stop with taking care of our bodies, it also means we should control our tempers, watch what we say and do and who we associate with. 

I remember feeling embarrassed because Alexa was shouting at her brothers like a little tyrant.  But I know where she got it from.  Me!!  I was mortified, because she looked like a miniature version of me, reading them the riot act, but in one-year old language.  She even had the facial expressions right!

So if my children can pick up this type of behavior from me, what else are they picking up?

I wish I could say that since that incident my behavior has totally changed.  Well it has and it hasn't.  I still fall back on my bad habits, but I'm really trying hard to use my "inside voice" and to watch what I say about someone or something.  I'm also trying to make sure that my kids watch me take care of myself by eating the right foods and in the right amount.  I want them to see me exercise and feel like they want to jump in. 

Hey, it isn't always pretty, they can turn my P90X workout into a chaotic mess, but at least they're moving and appreciating how they feel after exercising.  And I get to spend some quality time with them, hopefully instilling a good quality in them for when they grow up.

If you have a child who is either overweight or at risk for being overweight, talk to your pediatrician.  Make sure its not a medical reason.  If they are all clear to exercise and start eating right, look into making changes for the whole family.

If you have questions about childhood obesity and would like to start your child on an exercise program, email me at wattersjes@msn.com  There are many options and most are very affordable or free.

No comments:

Post a Comment