Thursday, July 8, 2010

My P90X Transformation Story

I know you've heard me talk about P90X a few times.  I'm pretty sure you also know that I don't like to ever recommend something unless it really gets the job done and is worth the money.  So I wanted to tell my P90X transformation story, which may inspire you to either take it on or take on another exercise program.


So here I am with Alexa in Florida last November.  I know a lot of you don't think I needed to lose weight, but I really wanted to tone up.  I'm not sure if you can tell, but I got a little muffin top going on, also a tiny bit of bra bulge and my tummy is just a little puffy.  No too bad for having 4 kids, but I knew I could be better. 

My eating wasn't too bad, but it was very carbohydrate heavy.  I always felt the need for an afternoon nap when Alexa and Michael would take theirs.  And I started feeling moodier, this winter was especially a hard time for me.

So in late January, I decided to look into P90X more seriously.  I had seen the commercials and I knew it could work from the little bit I saw of it.  In the past, I will admit, that if a client asked me about it, I would sort of try and steer them away from it because I was a little afraid they would start using it and not need me.  But even people in the fitness industry need a little help.  I was reluctant to hire a personal trainer for myself due to the financial impact that would have on our budget.  So after some thought I decided to try it. 

My first experience with it was with a borrowed copy, so I didn't have the nutrition and exercise guide books.  I tried one of the dvd's and it was a reality and ego check for me. Around this time I was also looking into expanding my fitness business, and found out about the Coaching opportunity that Team Beachbody has.  So again after lots of thinking, I decided to add Team Beachbody Coaching to my existing fitness business.  With my Coach's discount I bought my own copy of P90X, and was thrilled to have it with the nutrition and exercise guide.

No I'll be honest, at first I didn't follow the nutrition guide at all.  I was too into my carbs and didn't want to let go.  But after thinking about it, I decided to dive in and really take this program seriously.  In about 4 weeks I started noticing more definition in my arms.  My belly started looking a little flatter and I noticed my waist looking more defined.

The cool thing too is that I started to notice my moodiness improve too.  I felt like I had much more energy and didn't need that afternoon nap anymore.

Here's a picture of my bicep by week 11.  I was really impressed with the results, and determined to make it to week 13.  the right combination of exercise and nutrition was really the kick in the pants I needed.  Tony Horton and Beachbody did a great job of putting together a program that is based on confusing your muscles, pushing yourself a little more than you would do by yourself, and having fun with it.
Honestly, I feel like I got a personal trainer in my home for as long as I want and a nutritionist too.

So at week 13, I was really excited because when we opened our swimming pool, all of my bathing suits from last year were too big.  My tankini bottoms were super loose and not appropriate if we had guests over.  So I treated myself to two bikinis!  Nothing expensive. If you know me, you know I'm a bargain shopper.  I think I paid $20 for one at Target and $10 for the other at Wal-Mart.  Out of respect for my guests' kids, I still do wear a tankini, but one with smaller bottoms that won't fall off.


So here I am in my two cheapo bikinis, acting a little goofy, but that's me.  I haven't worn a bikini since I was pregnant with Michael in 2005, and before that I didn't dare wear one since 1999.  So do I think P90X was worth every penny? YES! I feel better and look better than I did a few months ago.  I'm no longer tired, irritable and feeling puffy.  I actually feel a lot younger than I have in a long time too.

So if you are on the fence of whether an exercise program that you see advertised on the television can work, please feel free to email me at wattersjes@msn.com or you can visit my Team Beachbody website by clicking here.

So what am I doing now? Well after finishing P90X, I took a week off  and I tried the Shakeology 3-day Performance Cleanse.  This wasn't a gross "run to the bathroom every 5 min." cleanse.  It was a an elimination of wheat, sugar, eggs, nuts, dairy and caffeine from your body, while getting all of the nutrition you need.

Then I started P90X again until I made a decision on what program I wanted to do next.  I decided to take on Insanity, since most of the members I coach are either doing P90X or Insanity.  Right now I'm in week two of that.  It's a challenge and a lot different, but its growing on me.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great story! I'm so glad you're willing to share. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete