Sunday, July 11, 2010

Does it make you feel happy?

While reading the June 2010 issue of Shape, I came across an article that said people who said exercise made them happy or feel good, were more likely to stick with it than those who said they were doing it to be healthy.

So this morning I was thinking about how not too long ago, I viewed exercise as my job and a chore to keep healthy.  I had lost the enthusiasm I once had. So since it wasn't making me happy, I would put it on the back burner.

Well its a good thing I found a program (P90X) that I really enjoyed doing.  Now I look forward to the challenge.  I look forward to how I feel afterwards and I look forward to seeing positive results.  Now I exercise because it makes me feel good inside.  Its not a chore anymore.

Sounds too simple, but it really can make a difference.  So if you are struggling with going for a run or walk, maybe dancing would make you feel good.  Or if you're uncoordinated and that hip-hop dance class makes you feel like a big nerd, try weight lifting, Pilates, or yoga.  Just figure out what it is that will keep you coming back for more and feeling good.

The same also holds true with work.  If you're in a job that you feel like you have to or need to, its going to leave you feeling flat.  But if you find that career that gives you a feeling of satisfaction or happiness, you will most likely be successful.  And I'm not just talking monetary success, but the success of doing a great job, helping others or completing a task others thought was impossible.  My job makes me happy because I really enjoy helping other people reach their fitness goals.  Believe me, I had a lot of jobs that I was really good at, and made a lot more money, but none of them compare to what I do now when it comes to satisfaction.

If you're thinking about a change in your workout to make it more enjoyable, or trying to figure out what workout will keep you happy, email me at wattersjes@msn.com.  Or if you want to make a career change and get into the fitness industry, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment