Saturday, July 10, 2010

Foods to stock up on

I wish I had copied the link when I first saw it, because I can't find it now:(

There was an article on MSN's Delish Channel about what foods you should keep on hand with a long shelf life.

I think they were:

Rice
Canned Beans
Chocolate Chips and Baking Chocolate
and I totally forget the rest

But here are some items I also think you should keep on hand:

Vanilla Whey Protein Powder - You can make fruit protein smoothies, or mix it into oatmeal, or pancake batter.  Whey protein is a great way to add extra protein to your nutrition, without being too heavy on you digestive system.  Makes for easy breakfast, snacks or light dinners.

Jarred Tomato Sauce - I read somewhere that canned tomato products pick up the harmful stuff in the cans because of their acidity. But jarred tomato products are better for you.  Tomato sauce is always better homemade, but who has time for that.  Find a brand you like and stock up on it when it goes on sale.  You can get creative with it by adding it to pasta, using it in your meatloaf or meat ball mixture, using it for homemade pizza.  You get the point.

Frozen Raspberries or Blueberries - Frozen is usually cheaper than fresh in the off season and you don't have to worry about spoiling.  I picked these over strawberries because the blend up smoother in the blender.  I hate finding chucks of fruit in my smoothie.  I also add these to Greek yogurt, or defrost and add on top of pancakes or waffles.  You can put them in salads too.

Frozen veggies - Again, frozen can be cheaper than fresh, and since they're flash frozen, the veggies don't lose their nutrients as quickly as fresh can.  You can get the steam in the bag variety.  Just opt for no sauce variety.  You can stir-fry, or add to pasta, use as a side dish, etc.

Ground Flax Seed - I like to use Bob's Red Mill.  Its cheaper than buying wheat germ and is high in Omega 3s.  I like to add mine to smoothies, pancake, waffle and muffin batter, meatball mixture, on top of yogurt.

Walnuts - You need to keep these int he fridge if you buy a very large package like I did a few weeks ago.  Walnuts are very high in Omega 3s and yummy on salad, yogurt or with a piece of fruit.

Chicken Breasts - You can freeze these to stock up.  Chicken breast is low in fat and high in protein.  I don't think I need to explain what you can do with chicken, but you can grill a few pounds at a time and use for quick meals during the week.  Like a pasta toss or on top of salad.

Protein Bars - Let's face it, we're all in a hurry at one time or another.  While I don't recommend eating them more than once a day, I do like to keep one in my purse for a quick snack or lunch.  Better than getting a donut:)

Peanut Butter - While high in fat, peanut butter in  moderation is a good way to get a quick shot of protein.  Have it with an apple or a banana.  Spread it on a rice cake or a piece of whole wheat bread.

Greek Style Yogurt - My favorite brands are Chobani and Fage.  I tried the Yoplait brand and it was just okay.  Try buying plain.  You can use it in place of sour cream or mayo. I like to mix mine with honey and frozen berries, topped with walnuts.  Greek yogurt is a lot higher in protein than regular too.  Chobani has 22 grams per serving and Fage has 19 grams.

Honey - This is a great way to sweeten in stead of sugar, and its pretty affordable compared to stevia.  A little goes a long way in oatmeal, yogurt, tea, or on top of pancakes.

Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese - Yes, you heard me, whole milk.  Whole milk mozzarella cheese is really not that high in fat when it comes to cheese.  Plus its a lot more satisfying that the low-fat varieties.  Use it for homemade pizza and pasta dishes, also add to salads, or have a slice with an apple or fresh blueberries.

Eggs - I like Eggland's Best.  They are lower in fat, and higher in Omega 3s than regular eggs.  I'm not a fan of egg whites, and since these are expensive, use the whole egg.  A whole egg isn't bad for you.  The yolk is full of more nutrients than just the whites. 

Butter - Yes, real butter.  In moderation its not going to harm your diet.  Plus its more satisfying than low fat spreads.  And its all natural.

If you are stocked up on some healthy, satisfying foods, chances are you'll stick to your nutrition plan instead of being tempted to go out and grab some fast food.  If you need more ideas on what to stock up on, you can join Team Beachbody's Club Membership program. For less than the price of a daily latte ($2.99 per week), you can get custom meal plans, recipes and shopping lists.  Nutrition is 70% - 80% of the equation of getting healthy or losing weight.  And sometimes we're lost when it comes to what to eat.  So I think its money well spent:)

No comments:

Post a Comment