Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A carb lovers journey into the world of more protein, less carbs

My name is Jessica and I'm a carboholic...If there was such a thing as Carboholics Anonymous, I think I'd be a member.  I'll admit, I have been addicted to carbs since a little girl.  Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, Cheese Its (sorry), you name it.  Often any of those would make me happy.

Now I am singing a new tune! It started with P90X.  I started it with my regular diet of lots of carbs, small amounts of protein.  But something told me I need to follow the nutrition guide.  So I started my low-carb journey.  Not happy, but willing to try it and take it week by week.  It wasn't easy.  But I started noticing some nice changes in my body.  A little less fluff, and a lot more lean.  I'm not sure what my total body fat is now, but I know its a lot less than it used to be.  I'll admit, I wasn't overweight or at risk for being overweight, but I did have fluff.

My new lower carbohydrate lifestyle led me to the Primal Blueprint.  I was skeptical at first, but tried some of the suggested foods and became hooked.  Now I don't crave carbs like I used to, except for Cheese Its when they're right in front of me.  But I don't stress about it since I know that I've been eating great and exercising more.

If you're struggling with losing weight, whether it's 50 lbs or the last 5 lbs, I highly suggest trying a nutrition plan lower in carbs and higher in protein.  I'm not saying no carb, just lower carb.  I still eat foods like fruits, veggies, dairy, and once in awhile a piece of bread or  small protion of pasta.  But again, bread used to be my love and now I can pass it up.  And if I can't I noticed a few bites cure my craving.

One more thing, if you drink soda, stop.  Its filled with sugary carbs that have no nutritinal value at all.  Switch to water.  Quenches your thirst and is much better for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment