Sunday, April 3, 2011

Whole wheat pancakes for the fitness minded

Pancakes have always been a big hit with my kids since they were old enough to eat them.  But the traditional type can be a no-no for the fitness minded. So on my quest for a healthier pancake, I found a recipe for whole wheat ones.  I make a big batch, freeze them and then microwave for 30 seconds per pancake for quick weekday breakfasts.

So here is my current recipe for whole wheat pancakes:

Jessica's Whole Wheat Pancakes for the Fitness Minded

2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tbs of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
2 tbs brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup of oil
1-3/4 cup of milk

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Next add your eggs, oil and milk. Stir until blended, but make sure you leave some lumps.

Coat a pan with cooking spray and heat pan on medium heat.  Add 1/4-1/3 cup of pancake batter for medium sized pancakes.  I can usually fit 3 pancakes in my pan.

Wait until, pancakes get little bubbles and carefully turn.  I place the cooked pancakes on a cookie sheet and then freeze.  Once frozen I place in a freezer bag.

Hot pancakes taste great with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup or topped with berries.

These pancakes can be used when following the P90X Nutrition Guide or the Insanity Elite Nutrition Guide.

My recipe makes about 15-18 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment