Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Flexibility

Happy Tuesday!  I wanted to post a quick piece on the importance of flexibility.  All of us are born extremely flexible.  We need to be this way in order to survive those cramped last few months in the womb.  We also need that flexibilty to get out of those cramped quarters.  I always marvel at how when changing a baby they can pull their legs all the way back and not look like they are in the slightest of pain.  And if you are holding them on your knees, they arch their back all the way to turn themselves upside down.

Its hard to imagine that we were once that flexible!  A lot of it is due to the fact that there bones are still developing.  But humans were born flexible and over time we gradually lose it.  I look at my almost 10 year old and see how he struggles to touch his toes, while my 4 year old has no problem yet.

So my new goal is to try and get my two older sons more flexible.  I am also in the process of keeping myself flexible too.  There was a time not too long ago that I had problems reaching for my toes.  I hated stretching.  I would look at people who could do it with ease and feel a little envious.

Flexibility can come back gradually.  I promise if you do a little bit everyday it will come back.  It will never be like when you were a baby, but you can improve a great deal.

One of my other missions in life would be to get more men to take advantage of flexibility exercises.  I've taught so many classes were men couldn't get past their knees, let alone touch their toes.  So many men complain of lower back problems.  Well most lower back problems are cause by tight hamstrings.  So I'm askling all of my male readers to reconsider stretching and PLEASE incorporate it into your exercises.

Guys you can build big muscles and still be flexible.  You don't have to do it at the gym, do it at home.  Just make sure you are still warm from your workout or warm up a little when you start.

Remember to breathe!  Breathing is so important during exercise and I know so many people who don't do it.  As you stretch, you want to relax.  You want to exhale to deepen your stretches.  You can also use a towel, belt or pillows to help you stretch.

Towels and belts are great to use when doing seated hamstring stretches and stretches where you are on your back.  Just loop the towel around your foot and gently pull your body down towards the leg or if lying down, pull the leg gently towards your chest.  Bending your knees is okay if you are really tight.

Pillows can help when you are doing inverted stretches (like stacking a few up in front of you and then bending forward at the waist and placing your hands on the stack).

Doorways are great ways to stretch out your shoulders.  Just grab the door jamb with your hand, extend your arm and gently lean forward in the door opening.

Calf stretches are great for runners to prevent shin splints.  Just alternate standing on your toes, then on your heels.  Do this slowly.

Also remember that stretching shouldn't cause pain, you should feel a mild tension, but never stretch where you feel pain.

There are a lot of good resources out there such as books and dvds that can help you on your journey to flexibility.  If you need help locating one, let me know.  Also the BeachBody dvd workout systems all incorporate stretching, and some have a seperate dvd dedicated to that.  You can browse the selection at http://beachbodycoach.com/fitwithjessica.  And as always if you have questions, please remember to contact me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment