Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Real Housewives of Atlanta - What not to do for a workout...

I have a guilty pleasure of watching Real Housewives. I usually DVR it, but last night I decided to watch the first 30 minutes of it.  Right now Bravo's hit show is featuring the southern belles of Atlanta, or Hot-lanta as I like to call it.  I know, you thought I'd be watching shows like Biggest Loser or Extreme Makeover, but those shows kind of bore me.  The only one I've been catching up on is Thintervention.

Well last night as I tuned in I watch as Kim, one of the main women featured on the show, decided to go for a jog with her assistant, Sweetie.  I laughed because they both wore matching silver and black outfits.  I also chuckled because Kim wears wigs, and she wore her wig for the jog.  I would have just thrown on a baseball hat,but she had her golden locks flowing behind her and you can hear her cussing that her wig is falling off.  What did you expect, Kim??

I did commend her for making the effort to get out and exercise.  In the past she has shunned it opting for machines to work her muscles for her and to massage the cellulite.  Kim is also a cigarette smoking, wine drinking, trash-mouthed fire cracker, who fancies herself a singer.  So the exercise was inspired by the fact that she has a hit single out and all pop stars need to look good, as she says.

Kim and Sweetie took on the challenge of jogging up a big hill, while mostly male motorists honked their horns to say hi.  Once they reached the pinnacle, they spied a beer truck delivering beer to a liquor store.  Kim and Sweetie start yelling to the delivery man, "hey, give us a beer!" He's probably like "yeah, right."  They make it over to him and he tells him he can't give them a beer, its against company policy.  Kim parks herself on a bench and tells Sweetie to run inside the liquor store and ask the lady for some beer. What???  Okay, I thought maybe you were kidding around with the delivery guy, but for real they are going to sit on the bench and have a beer.  Click here for pictures.

I am sure there will be someone out there that will say beer is an excellent post workout drink. But in my opinion, I think there are better options.  Although I got to thinking and thought, I know so many women who pride themselves for going to the gym every weekday morning and immediately afterward will stop at Dunkin Dounuts for a donut and some high fat/high sugar coffee treat.  Is that really much better than the beer?  Especially if Kim and Sweetie were enjoying a lite beer?  Probably not any better.

Hey we all deserve a little indulgence, but don't ruin all of your efforts by fueling your post workout body with junk.  Would you do that to your car?  So why do it to your body?  Feed your body well and it will treat you well.  And if you do indulge in that donut, coffee or beer after your daytime workout, don't make that your only meal until supper time.  That's another one that makes me cringe - people who will have the donut and latte, but not eat anything else all day.  I guess they feel if they don't eat anything else that will take care of the donut debacle.

So what should you have after a workout?  My favorites are snacks that will help refuel, hydrate and repair. Try something like a protein shake or a recovery drink of 8 oz of apple juice and 1 tbs of whey protein.  Have a large glass of water with an apple and 1/4 cup of almonds.  Maybe even a couple slices of deli meat with a slice of melon and a glass of water.  Something that you won't feel guilty about later.  And don't skimp on meals during the day.  5 small meals per day would be ideal (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner).

Well, if you have questions on what to eat and not to eat before and after your workout, please feel free to email me at fitwithjessica@live.com.  I love hearing feedback, so feel free to leave a comment here as well.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment