Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Strengthen your core with planks

A few days ago I blogged about beginner's push-ups.  Today I want to focus on planks.  Planks are a great way to strengthen your core.  Almost anyone can do a plank, but if you have very weak abdominal muscles you can also do these with your knees down on the floor, similar to a beginner's push-up.  And if your knees bother you, place a pillow under them. The video below will demonstrate how to do a plank properly.

You want to build up to these.  See if you can hold it for 20-30 seconds. Take a rest and then try again.  You want to make sure you are breathing the whole time too.  Don't hold your breath.  I would try to work up to doing 4-6 sets of 30 seconds each.  When you're done, go into child's pose to rest and stretch your lower back.

1 comment:

  1. Plank is one of my most favorite ab exercises. A while ago I built up to 90 seconds with regular plank and side plank. I can't do it for that long now, but I'm working back up to it with Brazil Butt Lift (Leandro's a big fan of the planks as well).

    ReplyDelete