Saturday, September 18, 2010

Some of the reasons why I workout

The other day, while doing a very hard P90X back and legs workout, I got to thinking "why am I doing this??"  I mean a lot of other people aren't spending their child's nap time exercising. They're doing house work, they're catching up on phone calls, sewing, crafting maybe some other business.  I don't know. But why am I sweating, huffing and puffing my way through 45minute long, tough workouts 6 days a week?  Why am I watching what food I put into my body? 

Well in my last blog, I pointed out that its the small things we do every day that amount to the big things.  So even though we may not see results in microwaved instant, they will come in time. And its not all outward appearance, its what's going on inside of your body that counts too.

But we're creatures that like to see results outwardly more than the inner benefits, especially when it comes to exercise and nutrition.

So here are some reasons why I do this to  myself:
  • I really like having a flat belly. I know it may seem vain, but I like looking down an not seeing what used to be a bulge.  Plus I had 4 kids, so to see my belly this flat, is pretty cool.
  • I love having the energy to keep up with my 4 kids.  When I take them to the playground, I like to be able to play with them.
  • I love that my body is flexible and strong.  Again, when I play with my kids, I love the fact that I can squeeze through all the narrow mazes and crouch down real low and not bump my head or hurt my back.  I can swing from the monkey bars and jump from the high places without fear.
  • Even though P90X is a challenge, I love how I feel mentally and physically after completing a workout.  As a mom of 4 kids, things don't always get finished, or if they do often it will appear that it never got worked on (like the family room always getting trashed by Hurricane Alexa).  But I get a feeling of accomplishment when I do exercise, especially if it was very difficult to get through.
  • I love when my kids decide to join me while exercising.  Michael (he's 4) has been doing the warm-ups with me during P90X and some of the exercises.  Alexa (she's 2) likes to join me in yoga an stretching.  And my older boys, Chris and Anthony like to do push-ups and cardio with me.
  •  Someone once said to me that I should have fun and just eat.  What's funny is that I do eat (about 1900 cals), and just because I'm not stuffing a slice of cheesecake in my mouth doesn't mean I'm not having fun! I love to eat, but for some reason I don't equate it to having fun.  I eat to fuel my body and give me energy. Having the energy to play with my kids is fun.
  • I love to look good when I get dressed up.  Listen, I don't do dress up often, but when I do, I love it when my husband says "you look hot!"  Who wouldn't want to hear that? I totally love the fact that my husband is still attracted to me.  And let me tell you, he's not the type to give out compliments just because.
  • I like to see my muscles in my arms.  Again, I know this sounds vain, but its nice to see a little biceps and triceps action.
  • I love when I go to the doctor and my blood pressure is good, and my cholesterol is good too. I know there's nothing sexy or hot about that, but it is a good feeling to know you're taking care of your body the right way.
So those are just a few of my "why's." I know some of you think I'm crazy because I don't go out drinking anymore or have a glass of wine every night (instead I meet a friend at Starbuck's on occasion). I don't eat a lot of "fun" food.  I spend my free time working out and trying to get others to do so.  Yes, it is a little crazy, but I like it. 

Its not for everyone, but if you're not happy with how things are going now, its not too late to make some changes.  The only thing you have to lose is maybe some high cholesterol, some high blood pressure, some inches off your waist and some pounds off the scale.

I'd love to hear from you.  Leave me some feedback here or send me an email to fitwithjessica@live.com

1 comment:

  1. Great reasons! And it's not crazy at all. You're just leading a healthy lifestyle which is something everyone should do. Unfortunately nowadays not everyone does, and that's why the job of fitness coach exists. My friend told me the other day that, "my whole lifestyle is so bizarre," just because I told her I workout six days a week and generally eat healthy all the time. I told her that just because I'm doing something that most people a lot of people don't bother to do doesn't make it weird.

    ReplyDelete