Sunday, September 19, 2010

Jessica's Healthy Homemade Waffles

Waffles are my kids second favorite breakfast (pancakes are #1).  I used to buy frozen waffles and pancakes week after week. That gets expensive, and I knew I could make my own and save money.  At first I started using "box mix," then I decided try to save even more money by making the mix from scratch.  Plus they are a lot healthier without preservatives and I can use whole wheat flour and add flax seed to the mix.

You will need a waffle iron.  They vary in price. I went with a model that was about $20.  The investment I made in purchasing the waffle iron 2 years ago has more than paid for itself by saving me at least $4 per week on frozen waffles.  I make this batch (makes about 12 waffles) and then freeze the leftover waffles for easy breakfasts.  My kids will eat one waffle with some scrambled eggs on the side.

This recipe is pretty easy, and you can add 1-2 scoops of whey protein powder for extra protein.  I don't do this because my 4 year old can pick up on that extra ingredient and he doesn't like it.

So here is the recipe for my healthy, homemade, economical waffles (if you want my pancake recipe, go to July 2010).

1 and 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of ground flax seed
2 TBS sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup of canola or veg.oil
1 and 3/4 cups of milk

Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Heat waffle iron. While that is heating,mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Batter should be lumpy.

Use a ladle to pour 1/4 - 1/3 cup (may be slightly more or less depending on size of waffle iron) of batter onto waffle iron.

Close the lid of waffle maker and cook for about 4 minutes. Waffles will be golden brown and crisp. They will soften once they cool.  Repeat this step until batter is gone.

You can let the waffles cool and then place leftovers in a freezer bag or container. Frozen waffles can be reheated in toaster.

2 comments:

  1. I love making my own pancakes and would like to try making my own waffles but need to get a waffle iron first. I'll try your recipe out once I get one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sodid you get a waffle iron yet:)

    ReplyDelete