Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lesson learned.

On Friday morning I was schooled with my own advice.  As a Team Beachbody Coach, I often tell people that they need to prepare for their journey of eating right and exercise. You need to make sure you eat 5 small meals per day.  You need to stock the house with healthy foods, prepare snacks to take with you, etc...

Well, this past Friday I really annoyed myself by not following my own advice. I had gotten out of the habit of packing a mid-morning snack for myself when the weather turned cooler. Park trips with the kids were dwindling down and any errands I had to do were short and sweet.  I always made it back in time for my snack.  But this day I my husband took off from work and wanted me to visit Home Depot with him.  Well our Home Depot is about 20 min away, but I still thought we'd make it back in time, so I just packed snacks for the kids.  After looking at all the mirrors, toilets, lighting (were giving our powder room a makeover) the quick trip was extended. Then my husband had an idea to take the kids to the park afterwards.  At first it seemed like a good idea, but as each minute ticked by my stomach was growling and the smoothie I had for breakfast was wearing thin.  I really wanted to do the park and be happy about it, but I was starving! I should have insisted that we stop home first so I can grab and apple and a handful of almonds, but I didn't want to delay us.  What a mistake that was.  By the time we reached the park, I was hungry, chilly, grumpy, you name it.  I was annoyed with myself for not being prepared.  I teach people to prepare themselves and I didn't do it.

Well, I reached the point of being famished by the time we left, and now I had a cranky 2 year old to deal with too.  Luckily, I still had some Shakeology left (was waiting for a new shipment), and I was able to blend up a fast lunch for myself.  I don't think anything has ever been so welcomed before.

So my valuable lesson that I learned that day was to get back in the habit of being prepared with snacks.  You never know what the day will bring and if you may get delayed.  I didn't  want to be tempted with stopping at Dunkin Donuts or McDonald's because I knew that I was so hungry I wouldn't make good choices.  Did you ever get like that?

I'm going to make sure that I keep one or two protein bars in my glove compartment. I'm also going to make a snack to-go like I do for my kids.  What's worked for me in the past is something like an apple or pear with 1/4 cup of nuts, or instead of nuts a Kraft low-fat cheese stick.  Even a half of a peanut butter & all fruit spread on whole wheat bread would be a good choice.

It just goes to show you that even the "pros" mess up sometimes, but mistakes are a necessary tool for learning.

I'd love to hear from you:) Feel free to leave a comment here or email me at fitwithjessica@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment