Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cardio for non-runners

Today I'm going to focus on cardio.  I know, I already here the sighs.  But cardio can be fun and you don't need to set aside an hour a day for it.  Right now, if you are just starting out, I only want you to aim for 5-10 minutes.  For my friends that are already working out, go for more.

Now I really love movement.  I love jumping, dancing, twisting, walking, but I'm not a big fan of running.  Especially for long periods of time.  I wish I was.  Its just something that I am not really strong at.  I will run, but I don't run a lot.  I like to run and walk.  My goal is to run more, eventually...

So for now, let's focus on non-running cardio.  My all-time favorite that I like to introduce my clients and classes with is using the stairs.  If you have a set of stairs with at least 5 or 6 steps, you're in business.  Hey even if you just have 1 step, I have something for you.

So for my ultra beginners, please start off with lightly. 

First, I'll give you the workout using more stairs.

Stand facing the stairs with your fingers laced together behind your back.  Pull belly button in and lean forward slightly.  Keep your shoulders back and down.  Beginners you will only take one step at a time.  My friends who want more of a challenge, you will take 2 steps at a time.  Reach the top and jog (or walk for beginners) down.  Repeat this challenge for 5 minutes at first.  As you get better at it, see if you can add this 5 minute challenge 3 or more times during the day.

A big myth about cardio is that you have to do it all in one session.  No, you don't.  As long as you are working intensely and properly you can break it up during the day (ex. 5 min morning, 10 minutes afternoon, 5 minutes evening).  The difference in the number of calories burned is minimal.  And I know its hard to devote a full 20-30 minutes.  Apply this to the 3 exercises I gave you yesterday as well.

Okay, now for my friends who only have like 1 step.

We are going to use our stair like step class. First we are going to go up and then step backwards down. Do equal amounts with each leg leading. 

Next we will do a side step.  Then add a side step up with one leg closest to the stair and lift the other leg slightly off the ground.  Repeat this several times on one side and do equal amounts on the other.

Then comes repeaters.  You will face the stairs, place your right leg on the stair, and pull your left knee up, while pulling your elbows back.  Make sure belly button is in.  You want to do this rather quickly.  I'd say say start with 12 reps on each leg, about 3 or 4 times.

You can also add this circuit to the stair workout above.

Let me know if you have questions.  And let me know how you are doing.

Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment